Thursday, March 1, 2012

Server updates, Bukkit, and clearing the map

Minecraft 1.2 is out. So, since I use a Bukkit server to support all of the add-ons, I'll be waiting for the Bukkit build to come out that supports 1.2 and then I'll update. Therefore, don't update your clients right away if you want to keep playing on the server while I wait to update.

I'm contemplating removing the worlds and putting up one new one. There are a lot of changes with 1.2. New jungle biome, new chunk generation system.. and in the new jungle biomes is a new cat mob that can be tamed. The old worlds won't have the jungle biomes, and I feel like my server will essentially be missing out on the cool new stuff. So, since activity on the server has been so low anyway, I'm very seriously considering just simplifying things and taking down all the worlds. I would, of course, make all the old worlds available for download. I don't want anyone losing their work. However, I'm not 100% sure this is going to happen. 

Another thing is that the Bukkit team has been hired by Mojang. It's great news. It means that in the future, updating my server will be more streamlined. It won't be this multi-step process of waiting for Bukkit to update after a release comes out. Now, the release will come out and that will be it. I might have to maybe update some plugins, but for the most part everything will be much faster. 

However, this means that Bukkit will no longer exist and new, native API system means that I will need to wait for all new plugins to be made and functionality may or may not be the same. When this happens, I will most likely have to start a new map for my server whether I want to or not. 

So, I suppose really what I'm contemplating here is whether I want to wipe the map now and keep things simple until I'm forced to wipe again later.. or whether I just keep going how I am until I'm forced to wipe later. Which is more work for me on a server that has become nearly inactive. 

I'll probably be wiping... We'll see. 


No comments:

Post a Comment